Wednesday, February 23, 2005

A few changes

As always, I'm finding difficulty sleeping so I decided to watch TV. I came upon a cooking show which featured a woman with impeccable breasts cooking. Actually she wasn't cooking, I'm sure she thought she was. She started off by dumping several cans of Swanson beef stock into a soup pot. She explained that she uses the low sodium kind because she 'likes to control exactly how much salt is in the food'. I wondered if she would have even more control over the ingredients if she actually made the soup, but hey I don't have a TV show or impeccable breasts.
While pondering her good fortune I watched her cut two packages of tortelleni open and dump them in the now boiling canned soup. To finish her creation off she added fresh ground pepper to the factory tortelleni. I'm positive she will taste the nuances of fresh ground pepper after it has been boiled in industrial soup.
I look at cooking as an expression or interpertaion of being a good host. My wife looks at it as an expression of personal creativity. My mother uses her Serbian kitchen to love and to be generous, to remeber the good things of the old country, to remember raising a family, to teach anyone who asks and to continualy develop her skill. Perhaps to other people it is an expression of something else. Regardless of what it can be an expression of, it should be expressive of something.

I'm sure this tv show person can cook, her credentials can not be limited to her breasts, but she isn't cooking and she isn't teaching people to. I'm afraid she is telling people that the yummie ends justify the thoughtless means.

yours breathlessly,
mt2

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home